Ok, so the word around the office is that someone (who's name I won't mention has been trying to make healthier choices due to a health condition that he has) ate a "healthy" meal, which consisted of bbq ribs and a cheese/broccoli casserole. He's not overweight, so he doesn't necessarily have to worry about eating healthy for that reason, but this medical condition definitely affects his health in a negative way when he makes poor food choices.
Let me start with the Ribs. In no way, shape, or form are ribs ever healthy. It doesn't matter if you don't put anything on them and bake them or grill them or smoke them or whatever. They are never a health food! Pork is the fattiest meat you can ever eat, regardless of what cut it comes from (except maybe the tenderloin) or how much "fat" you see on the meat. "Lean" babyback ribs have about 17 grams of fat, 240 calories, 850 grams of sodium PER 2 RIBS. Not 2 racks of ribs. But per 2 single ribs. I do not know a single person in my world that I have ever seen only eat 2 ribs, and my family goes through a lot of ribs.
Now, I certainly am not going to turn my nose up at eating some babybacks when my husband has been smoking them for hours on the grill, but I'm certainly not going to kid myself into thinking I'm eating something healthy. I know what I am getting into before I start, and try to limit myself to about 5 ribs.
Ok. Cheese and Broccoli casserole? Come on now. Anything with the name "casserole" is guaranteed to be bad! Isn't butter in there? And white rice? And not to mention cheese? That's like a sugar/sodium explosion! I'm not even sure what to say about that. That little bit of broccoli has no chance to try to make that a healthy dish!
So, my answer is No! This is not healthy! Don't trick yourself into thinking that it is. :)
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment